SEIWA PATENT & LAW provides the following services in relation to various types of inter partes procedures such as patent invalidation trials at the JPO and infringement litigation at courts, both in Japan and abroad, with attorneys-at-law who deal mainly with the legal aspects of a case working as a team with patent attorneys who deal mainly with the technical aspects of the case.
Our extensive experience in handling a large number of important cases, including several Supreme Court cases in Japan enable us to propose appropriate strategies depending on the nature and circumstances of the cases.
Major Areas of Practice
Providing the following services acting as a representative and in support of clients in connection with:
- Various IP-related inter partes procedures such as oppositions, invalidation trials, cancellation trials, at the JPO as well as IP Authorities overseas, and courts in various countries and regions.
- Various types of IP right infringement lawsuits (patent rights, utility model rights, design rights, trademark rights, copyrights, breeder's rights to new plant varieties, violation of the Unfair Competition Prevention Law, etc.) at courts in Japan and overseas.
- Response to various types of IP infringement by third parties, including drafting and forwarding cease-and-desist letters to accused infringers, negotiating with alleged infringers, petitioning Customs Offices to prevent importation and distribution of counterfeit or infringing products (border measures).
- Reply to third parties’ warning of IP infringement, including reviewing and analyzing validity of rights, determining countermeasures such as invalidation argument or offers for license, negotiating with right holders, etc.
- Other civil affairs cases in general.